Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Skipping Stones Design Sketch Tuesday SSD02

When Heather sent me this set several weeks ago I laughed and laughed and laughed.  I love the sentiments!  I couldn’t wait to play with the set!  This weekend was the perfect chance, what with our crazy weather and all.  We needed a little warming up around here!

SSD Tropical Birthday

TropicalBirthdayMarkedWeb
Here’s Kim Teasdale’s Sketch Tuesday SSD02 for Skipping Stones Design:

SSS02

And here is my take on the sketch.  It’s a simple, yet fun card.

HulaNutsSSDSketchSS02

I have a hard time sticking to the rules.. LOL… so I had to make a bigger “little” circle to fit my image.  I also used some brads and a funky ribbon bit to create the “illusion” of the three stripes on the left hand side.    The ribbon was this weird straw like ribbon that I snipped apart and created both the thing on the left and the 3D hula skirt.I snipped apart the ribbon and carefully placed it neatly on top of the skirt (which I colored in with watercolor pencils and OMS) and glued it down with that awesome Zig 2 way glue.  I held it in place with some pliers until it was nice and stuck to the paper.  I stamped a double image of the hula girl on scrap CS and cut out the waistband and glued it on top of the hula skirt.HulaSkirtweb

Here’s what the ribbon looks like when it’s whole:

RibbonSnippetweb 
{That’s a sneak peek of another project I just finished that I can’t wait to share… :) }

Glitterweb I had so much fun playing with sunshiney glitter!  The glitter is a custom Erin mix… I mixed red, orange and yellow glitters from Doodlebug until I got just the right sunset-y look.  I cut out a circle with my Nestabilities, cut off the bottom part of the circle, and then ran it thru my Xyron machine.  I carefully peeled off the Xyron backing tape and then generously sprinkled it with glitter and pressed the glitter down into the adhesive.   A few flicks, taps, and general shakes later, I adhered it to the card.
bambooweb

The water background is made with the Dots CB Embossing folder and  the texture on the top brown CS was made with the Forest Branches CB Embossing folder.  (It’s kind of hard to see in the photo, but it looks a little like bamboo…)

Every hula girl needs some bling so I added a littler sparkle to the flower in her hair with some Stickles and colored in her skin and make up with some watercolor pencils.  (I still haven’t made it on the uber expensive Copic wagon yet.)

Supplies:
Stamps – SSD Tropical Birthday
Inks – Stazon Black
Papers – Close To My Heart
Accessories – Cuttlebug Machine & Embossing folders (bubbles/dots and forest branches), Doodlebug glitter, Stickles, watercolor pencils, odorless mineral spirits, misc ribbon, adhesives, brads, Nestabilities dies.

May your coconuts never hang lower than your grass skirt and may you have warmth in your homes today as we freeze to death in icy cold Utah.

Inky Smiles!

PS.. Since you’ve made it this far through the post.. and if you’re visiting me today, Tuesday, December 8th, 2009…. here’s a little something special for you!  So hurry over and pick out your favorite stamps!  There’s no better time than now to get 25% off AND free shipping!

SSDSale25Off

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

OMGosh! I love this card! The sentiment is hilarious but your take on the sketch is fabulous! That skirt is amazing, love what you did to make your custom glitter. It sure looks like you had a blast creating this great card! (wonder what the studio looked like after you were done glitterizing and snipping....LOL)

Have a wonderful day cozy and warm INSIDE!

Kathi Carlson said...

Cute! That sentiment is too funny. LOVE it, Erin!

skippy stamps said...

I absolutley LOVE your take on the Sketch;) You are SO creative and talented!!! Enjoy your snowday!

Erica said...

that is a funny card...love it!

btw...the crayon rolls i made used a template from skip to my lou...a blog i follow...very easy

CreativeMish said...

LOL! What a hilarious stamp! Love it! and awesome card!

Sarah said...

I CRACKED UP!!! when I read that sentiment...what a hoot!!! And what a great card to look at with nearly two feet of snow outside the door. (and still coming)
I Just LOVE the card and the hula skirt.