Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Skipping Stones Design Sketch SSD03 – Stained Glass Butterfly

I was working on a lot of projects this weekend.  I can share two of them with you after Thursday when the recipient gets them. (She reads this blog from time to time so I don’t dare share yet.)  Today I actually wrote our Christmas letter and printed it out and created a digital Christmas photo card to go with them.  I created one last year, too, but never mailed it.. lol… I thought about reusing it and then remembered I think I posted it here on the blog. LOL!  Anyway….

One of my projects was the weekly sketch for Skipping Stones Design’s Tuesday sketches.  I just received a bundle of stamps from Heather in the mail and was delighted that the Healing Wings set was in the package.  I think this is a lovely set with some beautiful sentiments. I especially love the “stained glass” style butterfly.

Here’s the set:

SSD Healing-Wings

Here’s today’s sketch SSD03 from Skipping Stones Design:

SSS03

This sketch threw me for a loop. I looked at it and thought, “what on earth am I going to do with that floating triangle?”.  LOL!  So I played around with the sketch and then turned the paper I had printed it out on… voila!  The light bulb went on and I went to town crafting.

 

And here’s my card:

SSDSS03Web2

I love the sentiment, “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life” and wanted to highlight it on the card but not have it be the main focal point.  (It’s too tiny anyway.)  I stamped it on some white cs and inked the edges to take off the sharpness of the white edges.  I pulled out Bernie (the Bernina… been trying to think of a nickname for her…) stitched the two rectangular patterned paper pieces to my card base with a basic zig zag stitch for some fun texture. 

IMG_6031web

Almost every card needs some added bling and sparkle so I added some gems from Kaisercraft to the “floating triangle”.  I think it looks less floating and more anchored now.  The sentiment is popped up on the triangle which is popped up off the card and the focal piece with the butterfly using American Craft foam squares.

Here’s a photo where you can see all the fun little popped up layers.

IMG_6005editedweb

Here’s a close up of the butterfly.  I stamped with Timber Brown Stazon ink and then colored it in with watercolor pencil , blended with OMS and then covered with Liquid Glass for sparkle and to make the colors more rich and vibrant.

I stamped the image on  a piece of cream cs for some fun shadow detail and then cut a teeeeeny little strip of pop up foam square and mounted the butterfly over the image on the cream cs and bent up the wings a little.  I think it looks like a butterfly that has landed for just a second… :)

IMG_5996editedweb

Inky Smiles!
Erin

Supplies:

Stamps – Skipping Stones Design Healing Wings
Inks – Stazon Timber Brown
Paper – Basic Grey, Archivers
Miscellaneous – Kaisercraft rhinestones, CTMH Liquid Glass, watercolor pencils, Odorless Mineral Spirits, thread & sewing machine.

9 comments:

Kathi Carlson said...

Beautiful, Erin!! I love the colorful butterfly - Gorgeous!

Jeanne said...

Oh my goodness! What a GORGEOUS butterfly! I'm about to swoon. Glorious! I love all the details you added to the card. You rocked the sketch!

Thanks SO much for sharing, Erin! I'm happy to see you are crafting again!!

Jena said...

BEAUTIFUL! Looking at this card made today's cold, wintry weather seem a little brighter - TFS!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a pretty card!

Sarah said...

THat is a LOT of work..that butterfly is just stunning..! It totally looks like it just landed on your card for a second. ALMOST like we were not under a ton of snow huh!
Every little detail is perfect, from the bling to the stitches.
Awesome.

Stampin n da Hood said...

wowzah!

Stacey said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!
I KNEW from the sneak peak that I LOVED the flutterby ALREADY.....and NOW I see this beautiful card in ALL it's BEAUTY! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!!
Beautiful!!!!

Barb Turpin said...

I am so amazed by all of the talent!

Anonymous said...

I love this butterfly! I keep learning things as I view your blog. Thank you for sharing.