Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Little Art: Scrunched and Distressed Leaves



I have decided that I absolutely LOVE altering letters! Here's a fun little project that I made to hang on the walls of my new studio....

I bought the paper so long ago and created this rather quickly and tossed out the little edge that says who makes it.... so I apologize for not being able to tell you right off who made it.

{Click on photos for larger views}






The E is a hardboard letter that I picked up at Robert's Crafts. The rhinestones are from Me&My Big Ideas (MAMBI), the ribbon is Papertrey Ink. I clipped the flower from a 99c bushel of flowers from WalMart. The leaves are created using a scrunch and distress technique.




Scrunched and Distressed "Leaves"

Materials:
Scissors
Inks for distressing
Cardstock (I used a textured one from Archivers on my original E & I liked the effect.)
* Baby Wipes (optional)

1.) Cut out your leaves... make random looking shapes.
2.) Make a center "crease" for the center vein of the leaf and ink up.
3.) Use all of your pent up frustrations and scrunch up the paper leaf.

Seriously, scrunch it up like you're smashing it into oblivion... you want all sorts of funky creases.

4.) Open up your leaf and begin smooshing it all over your ink pad to start adding life to the veins. Warning: your fingers will get extremely messy. Baby wipes come in handy at this point. (Scrolling on up to add Baby Wipes to the materials list.)

5.) Scrunch up your leaf again and ink up. Repeat until you get the desired effect.
6.) Open up your leaf again and add some final touches... add additional ink colors for more fun effects! Experiment and have fun with your leaf!





This is a fun technique to use for making fall leaves for cards, scrapbook pages, etc. Here are some oldies from my CTMH days...


8 comments:

Kathy said...

Nice effect love the scrunched leaves!! And by the way that gorgeous paper is from Crate Paper!! I have like 3 packs of it!!!

Anita said...

Thanks for sharing how you made those beautiful leaves!

Jeanne said...

Lovely! Just lovely! Your new studio is gonna be gorgeous and I'm gonna be jealous!

Thanks for sharing how you made the leaves. Ü

Sue C said...

Hey, girlfriend! Nice to see you're back at creating again! Your altered E(go)is very pretty, and your leaves are very fun! I'll have to try it (it's been a frustrating sort of day, so maybe this is a good time...!) TFS!

Chrissy D said...

Oh this is gorgeous Erin! I love it! TFS!

kc_froglady said...

love love love the leaves! What a simple yet oh so effective way to enhance them for a project or card.

Juel said...

very nice pretty. I'm getting anxious for fall.

Tami Bayer said...

Fantastic tutorial. It is such simple ideas with a wow impact. Thanks for sharing.